Voracious

I've come to a decision that the term bookworm wouldn't suit me anymore. I'm not really that studious (I'm no Hermione). I just have a big appetite for literature. So yeah, 'bookworm' is a totally wrong analogy to use where I am concern.

As you know, I bought four new books from the last Popular Book Fest. The one that I went with Mr DJ over one weekend. I've read all of it, and then some. Here are my thoughts on three out of the four books.


Me and Mr Darcy by Alexandra Potter

Your usual chic-lit book. Good for light reading. It's witty and very contemporary. The author was brave enough to use current popular culture references in her book. Normally, authors shy away from using references that are popular now to keep their work timeless.

Emily Albright is a little bit like Bridget Jones character, really.

After her last disastrous date, Emily decided she had had enough with modern men. Pride and Prejudice was her favourite book and nobody come close to her Mr. Darcy. She was about to spend her new year's holiday alone when her co-worker suggested they go down to Mexico for a week of margaritas and manhunting.

She chose to go for a Jane Austen guided tour in England instead. Alone.

During the tour, she 'met' with Mr Darcy himself and hilarious yet romantic situation ensued. She wasn't sure if she dreamed about him or her delusional mind played tricks on her.

On the tour itself, she met Spike, a journalist who was doing some research for his piece on why most women would love to date Mr Darcy. He's anything but alike. He irked her from the moment they laid eyes on each other. But eventually, he professed his attraction to her, and she to him.

And they live happily ever after. The end...

It's interesting to note what Emily discovered: Mr Darcy is a wonderful fantasy for the hopeless romantic. He is the perfect man. However, she had difficulty to grasps his broodiness (it was sexy on paper, but not real life), aloofness and his backward way of thinking while they 'dated'. She don't think they would have lasted if Mr Darcy, from that era, comes to life for her.

Oh, and the author of this book? She's living my dream. I is jealous. Sigh.


The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom

I enjoyed reading Mitch Albom's last book, even though I cried a lot. So when I saw this title in the special discount section at the fair, I picked it up.

This book was as good as For One More Day, but not as heart wrenching. Well, for me at least. I didn't shed a tear at all, but it still left me feeling poignant and melancholic.

The story was about Eddie, the guy who maintained an amusement park at Ruby Pier. It's about the moments before his death; trying to save a little girl, on his birthday, as well as his journey beyond.

He woke up in the afterlife where he met five people who were waiting for him to explain about his life on earth. The five people he met -- some were strangers, some have been his loved ones, some were some one he knows. Yet each of them changed his path for ever, with or without him knowing about it.

They all helped him understand his life and comes to term with some of his nightmares. Everything that happened has its own consequences. After he met all five, it'll be his turn to wait for the girl who life he saved.

And the cycle continues.

Again, the words in this book flowed simply. I think I'll buy Tuesdays With Morrie next. Cyn has read it, and she said the story was very sad. I recommended For One More Day to her, but she's afraid to read it just yet. Lol.


Cat O' Nine Tales by Jeffrey Archer

Wow. I didn't know Lord Archer was incarcerated for perjury. I didn't know he'd released three Prison Diaries either.

I've always enjoyed reading stories by Lord Archer, who happens to be one of my favourite authors. Who would have forgotten Kane & Abel? The Prodigal Daughter was one of my favourites!

This book is a collection of twelve short stories, nine of which are ideas he picked up while in prison.

The stories are quite enlightening, insightful and engaging. All twelve of them. I enjoyed reading all of them immensely.

My favourites are The Man Who Robbed His Own Post Office, Don't Drink The Water, It Can't Be October Already (which has a sad postscript at the end), The Red King (with the most cunning thief, I must say!), The Wisdom of Solomon, Charity Begins At Home and The Alibi (patience is a virtue).

I'm not going to tell why I like them because that'll ruined the story. You have to read it yourself. Lol.

xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts