Michael Jackson, 1958-2009

There's A Place In
Your Heart
And I Know That It Is Love
And This Place Could
Be Much
Brighter Than Tomorrow
And If You Really Try
You'll Find There's No Need
To Cry
In This Place You'll Feel
There's No Hurt Or Sorrow



Dearest Michael,

This is my, albeit small, tribute to you, the greatest King of Pop. You are my Idol. I still cannot believe you're no longer with us. I cannot speak, read, see or hear about you, without shedding a tear since the day of your passing.

I have known you since... well, I can't remember, I was too young! But I do remember you singing with your brothers. I wasn't a big fan until Thriller (at an appropriate age to understand all this, I was 9? 10?).

My favourite song from that album was, hands down, Billie Jean. I don't understand nuts what the song was about at that time, but I love it! As well as your other popular hits namely Beat It, Thriller and PYT. I taped your music videos so I can learn the dance steps to Beat It and Thriller. And I am surprised that I can still remember. Lol.

I also remembered your many many Grammies won that year. I was damn proud and happy of your achievements. And 'We Are The World'! It was so cool to sing that song with friends.

And then came Bad. I was 14 and had my own weekly pocket money for school. I saved it to buy your album, my first purchase ever. One song in this album Michael, made me pause and think. It made an impact and somewhat altered my world view. It also taught me; instead of complaining and whining, I should take charge of my destiny or whatever it is that I'd like to change.

That song was 'Man In The Mirror'.

I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways
And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change


Powerful, powerful words. I held on to it's ideology until today.

At the time when Dangerous was released, I had just left school. 'Heal the World' and 'Remember the Time' became my favourite songs from that album. When HiStory came out, I was engaged to be married.

And when you came to Malaysia as part of your HiStory World Tour, I thought I'd be mad insane not to go see you perform. I dragged my cousin N and persuaded my husband (then fiance) to go with me. My cousin was game but my husband was a little bit reluctant.

I bought the 2nd most expensive tickets to see you; a decision I made at the last minute, probably after sharing the same excitement with your other fans while queuing at the ticket line. Who cares if I don't have enough for lunch or bus fare until my next pay cheque. We're talking about Michael Jackson here!

And on an impulse as well, bought one for my husband. To this day, he's so thankful I did that because your show was... AMAZING! Like I said, he would be mad insane to not have gone.

I gave your last album a pass. I don't know why. I hardly know any of the songs in that album, come to think of it. Does that make me a bad fan? ;)

And now, you're gone :'(

Thank you for the music, Michael. You are the greatest entertainer, a legend and an inspiration to others. My heartfelt condolences goes to your three children and the family you left behind.

Rest in peace now. We love you.

xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts