The clouds I can handle. But I can’t fight with an eclipse.

Eclipse was my favourite book in the series, next to Twilight. I don’t quite fancy New Moon much because there isn’t enough Edward it in. Hehe.

So. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse movie… I actually have seen it twice before this. The first time, I must say I was indignant. Second time, was tolerable. Third time, I was more willing to accept its flaws albeit begrudgingly.

The movie on its own, without looking at specifics, was cool. The problem with me was that I reread the book just before watching it. That’s a major mistake right there. Haven’t I learn anything with my experience from the Harry Potter saga?

Apparently not.

Movies adapted from a book will never be as good. How many times must this be repeated, yes? But I think some things that made a character and story line as a whole, shouldn’t be left out. It is all well and good that they included the major points in the movie, but some of it left me wanting.

There were three parts of the movie that thrown me out of loop, because it wasn’t like that in the book and so out of character. Let’s break it down, shall we.


SPOILERS ALERT. Click after the jump.





From the start of the movie; the backstory about Riley, Edward’s proposals at the meadow (actually if y’all remembered, he’s done that at the end of New Moon) and Alice’s vision about Victoria, was all good. Then Bella came home, got pepped talk by her dad to visit Jacob… it kinda went downhill from there.

Quickly enough, she just decided to take a drive to see Jacob. And then you see her having problem starting her car, and Edward tiba-tiba menjelma at the passenger seat, and then they had an argument. It looks like as if Edward was jealous.

It wasn’t like that in the book – a pertinent issue as to why he doesn’t allow Bella to see Jacob wasn’t discussed.
“Please, for me. Please make a conscious effort to keep yourself safe. I’ll do everything I can, but I would appreciate a little help.” ~Eclipse, Paperback, page 33.

Neither was angry in that car scene above in the book. It happened a day later, when Bella felt she really have to see Jacob and had an hour before Edward returns to her bedroom that night.

“Gah!” I gasped in shock when I saw that I was not alone in the cab.
Edward sat very still, a faint bright spot in the darkness, only his hands moving as he turned a mysterious black object around and around. He stared at the object as he spoke. “Alice called,” he murmured.
Alice! Damn. I’d forgotten to account for her in my plans. He must have her watching me.
“She got nervous when your future rather abruptly disappeared five minutes ago.”
My eyes, already wide with surprise, popped wider.
“Because she can’t see the wolves, you know,” he explained in the same low murmur. “Had you forgotten that? When you decided to mingle your fate with theirs, you disappear, too. You couldn’t know that part, I realize that. But can you understand why that might make me a little… anxious? Alice saw you disappear, and she couldn’t even tell if you’d come home or not. Your future got lost, just like theirs.”
I listened to his musing in stony silence.
“I’ll put your car back together in time for school, in case you’d like to drive yourself,” he assured me after a minute.
With my lips mashed together, I retrieved my keys and stiffly climbed out of the truck.
~Eclipse, paperback, pages 62-63

See? Was that explained in the movie? NO. Was she shouting to Edward for ruining her truck? NO.

The scene at school after visiting her mom, where we saw Jacob the first time in the movie looking very dashing. I was shocked at Bella’s behaviour – scolded Edward for lying to her and just took a ride with Jacob on his bike, leaving Edward just like that.

Book Bella would never do that!

Also, the reason why Edward lied to her about Alice’s vision was because he knew Bella would be overly anxious and worried. Jacob doesn’t think like that. He loves egging on Edward about it.

“Overprotective, isn’t he?” Jacob said, talking just to me. “A little trouble makes life fun. Let me guess you’re not allowed to have fun, are you?”
Edward glowered, and his lips pulled back from his teeth ever so slightly.
“Shut up, Jake,” I said.
~Eclipse, page 82

She wanted to see Jacob, true. But not until later, when there was another chance to make a fast decision before it can be detected by Alice (she was more prepared this time). That time, she came out of La Push with Edward tailing behind her in his car. It was very amusing to read.

Of course, they fight about it after that what with Bella insisting on seeing Jacob and Edward not very happy with it.

After another attempt to sneak out like this, was when Edward decided to be civil about it and let Bella see Jacob by driving her to the treaty border and giving her a handphone so she can call him whenever she’s done. But Bella fell asleep after the bon fire party (aka council meeting); Jacob made the call instead to Edward.

See, that progression in the trio’s relationship wasn’t shown. It all went very fast in the movie.

Also, the stolen kiss between Bella and Jacob where she punched him and broke her hand? One, Bella was furious, threatens Jacob to let Edward have a go at him. Jacob sends her home because he refuses to acknowledge Bella’s request to be sent to the Cullen’s. When she reached home, she called Edward to pick her up.

The whole scene was very funny; go read it up from pages 334-341.

Two, Edward didn’t go berserk like in the movie, but he was calm, suave and deadly! Really!

And then he called, “Jacob,” his voice still quiet and even.
“Now, now,” Charlie cautioned.
Edward spoke in a voice so peaceful and gentle that it made the words strangely more threatening. “I’m not going to kill you now, because it would upset Bella.”
“Hmph,” I grumbled.
“But if you ever bring her back damaged again – and I don’t care whose fault it is; I don’t care if she merely trips, or if a meteor falls out of the sky and hits her in the head – if you return her to me in less than her perfect condition that I left her in, you will be running with three legs. Do you understand that, mongrel?”
Jacob rolled his eyes. “Who’s going back?” I muttered.
Edward continued as if he hadn’t heard me. “And if you ever kiss her again, I will break your jaw for her,” he promised, his voice still gentle and velvet and deadly.
“What if she wants me to?” Jacob drawled, arrogant. “Hah!” I snorted.
“If that’s what she wants, then I won’t object.” Edward shrugged, untroubled. “You might want to wait for her to say it, rather than trust your interpretation of body language – but it’s your face.”
~Eclipse, page 339-340

And then there was a small issue on imprinting. The explanation was just on the surface. I don’t know why they didn’t try to elaborate it further… how to explain the depth of it in the next movie?? Maybe that’s why the love between Jacob and Bella felt flat?

Did you know that Leah and Emily are second cousins? Sam was deeply in love with Leah before he became a werewolf. He couldn’t tell her about it and the secret strained their relationship. But they were really trying to make it work because they really love each other. Until one day, Emily came to visit Leah and Sam saw / imprinted on her.

Next, is the Edward-Victoria/Seth-Riley fighting scene.

Seriously, why was Edward portrayed as a wimpy vampire in this movie? I know he’s overly emo, but he’s also ‘slightly faster than Jasper (page 397)’, lion-like and he’s a freaking mind reader. He can read his opponent’s move and that give him an edge.

So why does it have to come to this??

Source: www.robsessedpattinson.com
WTF?

Also, Bella didn’t hurt herself to shed blood in the book. She wanted to (I steeled myself and sucked in one deep breath. Victoria was distracted by the sound of my gasp – page 550), but it didn’t come to that because Edward saw it, nearly got a heart attack (not the easiest thing to do, that –page 559), ended the fight quickly.

Simultaneously, Edward – all but invisible with speed – had twisted backward and caught the unsuspecting Riley by the arm. It had looked like Edward planted his foot against Riley’s back, and heaved –
The little campsite was filled with Riley’s piercing shriek of agony. At the same time, Seth leaped to his feet, cutting off most of my view.
She landed on her feet again, crouched and ready, but Edward was already in place. Relief swelled in my heart when I saw that he stood straight and perfect.
She wheeled and flew toward the refuge of the forest like an arrow from a bow. But Edward was faster – a bullet from a gun.
~Eclipse, page 551 – 553

See what I mean? I think this movie has converted me to join team Jacob! Seriously, I wasn’t that happy to be wearing my ‘Team Edward’ tee because I know what was coming. This Edward is not the same as the one I fell in love with :p

And then, there’s the part when Bella went to see Jacob to sort the mess she started towards the end.

But firstly, she didn’t go all pissed off ‘you knew he was listening?’ to Edward after the tent scene and Jacob found out she’s marrying him.

Jacob was close. Jacob had heard every word we’d said. Jacob was in agony.
“Jacob was listening,” I whispered. It wasn’t a question.
“Yes.”
“You knew.”
“Yes.”
I stared at nothing, seeing nothing.
“I never promised to fight fair,” he reminded me quietly. “And he deserves to know.”
My head fell into my hands.
“Are you angry with me?” he asked.
“Not you,” I whispered. “I’m horrified at me.”
~Eclipse, page 514-515

She felt remorse for hurting Jacob’s feelings and for not being truthful to him. Edward then offered to bring Jacob back so they can talk it out.

Jacob somewhat ‘tricked’ Bella into kissing him. That’s how I see it. He started all bitter and then decided ‘two can play at that (self-sacrifice) game’, callously said maybe he should try to get himself killed in the battle.

“Will you kiss me, Jacob?” His eyes widened in surprise, then narrowed suspiciously. “You’re bluffing.”
“Kiss me, Jacob. Kiss me, and then come back.”
~Eclipse, page 525

But of course his intention is to let Bella see she’s in love with him, too. She saw an alternative to her life expanded in her mind if she were to choose Jacob, during that kiss. They should have captured that in the movie. That’s how she realised that Jacob was right, that he’s more than just her friend.

When Jacob left and she got back to Edward, she felt remorse. But Edward wasn’t angry; he thought Jacob was rather cunning about the kiss and amused that Bella would fall for it.

“But you are human, Bella. And, as much as I might wish otherwise, so is he… There are holes in your life that I can’t fill. I understand that.”
“But that’s not true. That’s what makes me so horrible. There are no holes.”
“You love him,” he murmured gently. Every cell in my body ached to deny it.
“I love you more,” I said. It was the best I could do.
“Yes, I know that, too. But… when I left you, Bella, I left you bleeding. Jacob was the one to stitch you back up again. …”
~Eclipse, page 533-534

In respond to that, I feel the part when she went to see Jacob for the last time shouldn’t be that flat in the movie. She would have felt the pain as well because she knew now that she loved him, too. But she couldn’t be with him because she knows who she can’t live without more.

I think it should be like a break up scene instead of just Jacob in pain whilst Bella looking sad but incredulous that he feels that way for her. Hmph!

Anyway, this rant is long. I am glad to know that the author felt certain part was a bit off, too. So it wasn’t just me. Heh heh. Although, some fans seems to like angry-Edward, but I don’t.

So there you have it. I’ll give the movie 4 stars out of 5 for effort, but 2½ for not trying to capture the essence of the book hard enough. Bah!

xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts